Thursday, January 27, 2011

1.27.11 Brandon update: One Week old

Can you believe Brandon is already a week old? Well, we decided today would be a good day to take Matthew and Cameron to visit Brandon for the first time. 
Here's Matthew and Cameron waiting for the shuttle:

And Matthew seeing his new baby brother for the first time:

My four boys

We let Matthew and Cameron touch Brandon's toes. They thought that was pretty cool.

And our family of Five


This was definitely a quick trip. Matthew did a pretty good job just sitting on the chair looking at Brandon, but Cameron didn't want to sit still for long. He kept trying to push buttons, pull tubes, etc. They both loved getting a sticker to wear and on the way back to the elevator they wanted hand sanitizer from every dispenser (which there were a lot of).

As we were waiting for the shuttle to go back home a guy saw Scott and I running around after Matthew and Cameron. He turned to me and said, “I think this one will be a girl.” At first I didn’t realize what he was talking about and then it clicked that he thought I was pregnant. I just smiled and nodded—I wasn’t in the mood to explain. Good thing it takes a lot more than that to offend me J. Guess it goes to show you should never assume someone is pregnant… they just might have a baby in the NICU J. 
And now for the more technical stuff:
When Brandon was born he never got an “official” weight—I guess because he was in critical condition and they didn’t want to bother him. His birth weight estimation was 1200 grams (2 pounds, 10.32 ounces—or roughly 2.5 pounds). Last night they got his first “official” weight: 1110 grams (2 pounds, 7.15 ounces).
Brandon is off the ventilator and on SiPAP (similar to CPAP) As far as I understand the main difference between SiPAP and CPAP is SiPAP gives extra breaths or "sighs."
He also "graduated" to an isolette (or incubator). The most critical babies are in the open faced beds (what Brandon started in) so the doctors have easy access. But it looks like Brandon is stable enough now that he gets to be in an isolette. This is good because it is
warm, a clean environment, and helps him from noise, drafts, and infection.

35 comments:

Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

YAY that he is doing so well! And I had to laugh at what the guy said to you -- just because we've ALL been at some point, right? I think its INCREDIBLE that a week after having a baby, you are able to chase your other boys around still!

Jenny said...

Oh, how I know what it's like to have two little men in the NICU trying to push buttons and pull on tubes. Kind of entertaining... but i always felt bad for the other families there with their little ones. ;) I'm so happy that Brandon is improving! I'm sure your big boys were so excited to meet their little brother!! What a fun site for you and Scott to behold.

alison said...

I'm so glad that things are going well. I can only imagine taking little ones into the NICU--I'm not so sure I'd be calm and collected, like you seem to be. :)

Brittany said...

hey!

Unknown said...

Thanks for his post. I've been wondering how everything was going. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Beautiful pictures, by he way. Love you guys!!

Kristin said...

Sarah! Congrats on your little one, and I am glad that he is making strides in the right direction! Your boys are adorable and look like they are great big brothers already. I hope you are recovering well, best wishes to your little family!

p.s. I found your blog from your link you posted on facebook :)

Brandon and Natalie said...

I am glad that things with Brandon seem to be improving. Hopefully his stay in the NICU will be short and uneventful. Good luck with everything!

LaNae Allyson said...

So glad he's doing well!! You all look great, and I liked the family of 5 photo :-)

Jen said...

You know I am always reading. I'm happy to hear that brandon is doing so well. How lovely that guy thought you were pregnant. Good thing you are so nice, I probably would have said something and embarrassed him.

Eric said...

Ha! I never ask a woman if she's prego unless she's 8 months and I already know. Pretty funny! Congrats and we're glad all is going well with Brandon.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that Brandon is doing so well! I'm also glad that you're not easily offended, and can laugh off a well-intentioned, but very misguided comment. Best of luck to you all!

Stephanie said...

Hi Sarah. Glad to hear the updates on Brandon. You have a lovely family of five.

Kristin said...

Hey Sarah!

Glad to hear Brandon is improving! We are praying for you guys all they way from snowy Rexburg! (P.S. Jon is looking to take a job in San Jose when he's done with school [this April!], are you guys going to be staying around the Bay Area when Scott graduates? What are your plans?)

Love, Jon and Kristin

Emily N. said...

Hey there! Thanks for the updates. How are the two boys managing at home? Is your mom there with them? You certainly have a lot on your plate, and I am amazed at how well you are dealing with all of it. Keep it up, girl! :)

Lisa and Mark said...

i read it!

All Handleys on Deck! said...

Too funny about them being excited about touching his toes and wanting hand sanitizer! Oh that random guy's comment! =)

Rebecca & Jeff said...

So neat that you got to take the boys up, I'm sure they enjoyed it. Crazy that you are a family of 5 now!

Jane Andaluz said...

Great to know that he's doing better!

Jay Flynn said...

Definitely made it to the end. Been checking regularly to get the updates! Wish we could be there.

THE LEWIS' said...

wow i just saw the post on facebook and just got done reading your blog. you are one amazing mama!!! you look amazing and seem to be in such good spirits. i hope little brandon keeps getting better. thanks for the updates and hopefully the boys dont run you too crazy.

Joleen said...

Sarah! It's been so long, but I wanted you to know that I follow your little family. My prayers are with baby Brandon and am hoping for a speedy recovery. I hope you are well and hanging in there. Take care!

Lindsay said...

Hi! :)

Just Us Three said...

We're glad to have the posts and to hear that Brandon is doing well.

The Millers said...

I'm so glad to hear your little guy is doing so well. Crazy that you have 3 kids. Man when did we get all old and stuff : ) I enjoy reading you blog.

Matt and Ashley said...

Sarah--- Matt and I have been reading about Brandon--- know that we are thinking about you!
Love,
Matt and Ashley

Shannon said...

Saw your profile pic on facebook and came to check out the blog. I'm so happy to see that he is doing so well. You're boys are adorable.

Jana said...

Cutest family of 5. Tell you boys I love the hospital's hand sanitizer too. :)

Carrissa Hellewell said...

I read it! Mindy called and told me you had the baby and I was so surprised since we had just seen you during Christmas time. We are praying for that little guy. I love to hear updates so keep them coming :)

Hannah said...

You always do such a good job at updating your blog! I makes me feel not quite so much out of the loop-so thanks! love you :)

Kris and Megan said...

I wondered how your boys would do meeting brandon in the NICU... oh boy :) And that is funny you already had someone ask you if you were pregnant- I had that already too- I was buying nursing stuff at the motherhood maternity store and a lady asked me when I was due. granted i was in the maternity store, but you should never assume! maybe i was buying a giftcard for a prego friend?! anyway, funny that it happened to you too. hope you guys continue to hang in there, we think of you so much and hope the best for your little guy.

allison. said...

Your kiddos are adorable! I'm glad everything is going well. You seem like such a good mom!

Diana Hulme said...

so great to hear the updates. glad you got to hold him! :)

jes said...

glad to hear he's doing so well! you're incredibly brave and handle everything wonderfully! thinking of you!

Russell and Carolyn said...

Congrats on the girl! (Wink, wink.) In your picture, you look fabulous. :) Glad to hear things are progressing. As for long-winded-ness, you're REALLY not that bad! Remember, there are lots of people who love you guys and will gladly read up on ya. Keep posting!

Unknown said...

Sarah,
I just want you to know that I think you are such a good mom! We all love looking at your blog-it is always so cute and I am amazed at your strength.
Love,
Aunt Lisa