On July 16, 2016
Lincoln Ray Crane
joined our family at 7:06pm
8 pounds, 12 ounces
20.5 inches
I was very fortunate to have Scott's parents so close - they came over at a moments notice when I went into labor and watched our other kids. They even spent the night at our house the night before Lincoln was born "just in case" my contractions came regularly enough that we needed to go into the hospital.
Lincoln was born one day after my due date and was my biggest baby. Cameron was my next biggest baby coming the day before his due date weighing in at 7 pounds, 14 ounces. I know I've said this before, but pregnancy seems so long when the last three months you wonder, "Is today the day I'm going to have my baby?" And imagine my surprise when he came one day late!
When we got to the hospital it was a bit of a joke. They had told us we should valet park at the Emergency Room when I arrived at the hospital to have my baby. Because the drive was about 25 minutes from our home I didn't want to cut it too close, so we headed off with a little time to spare. When we actually arrived I figured we had enough time to park in the regular parking lot and then walk in because I didn't want to labor too much in the hospital. The problem was it was a Saturday and several sections of the hospital were closed and there weren't very many worker there to ask where to go. We found a parking lot and started walking the halls of the hospital aimlessly looking for signs for "Labor and Delivery." Every few minutes I had to stop walking to let a contraction pass. Eventually we found the correct elevators to take us up to Labor and Delivery and as we were waiting a group of pregnant women an their spouses showed up. Perfect, I thought we asked the tour guide where to go and were gravely disappointed when she told us we had to go the Emergency Room to "check in." So we had to make a rather long walk down the halls to get to the Emergency Room (at least she gave us good directions. After checking in we had to sit in the waiting room and wait for someone to come down from Labor and Delivery to come and get us. It seemed a little annoying waiting with patients that were coughing and hacking all over the place and passing druggies on our way back to Labor and Delivery (this time in a wheel chair).
Labor was fairly smooth and quick. I used a birthing ball for a bit and my water broke at the hospital. My midwife was actually very helpful during delivery when she decided to come (she was helping another patient and then decided to take a salad lunch break outside my door instead of coming right in to help when when it was time - but hey, everyone's gotta eat, right?)
Lincoln was born pretty quickly (about 9 min. after my midwife got into our room), and considering his size (relative to my others) I feel like things went rather well.
He definitely took a toll on my body... not sure if it was his size, my old age ;) or the fact that I had 4 other kids to worry about besides him. I was so glad to have Scott's mom around to help. She was a Baby Queen Grandma with all she did. Five grand-babies born in less than six months. Mine was second to be born and first to receive help. She snuck away to help Paola & Dallin with their baby Gavin while my mom came to help and then came back for a few more days to help after my mom left.
Proud siblings... these two were always asking to hold baby Lincoln.
No comments:
Post a Comment