Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Matthew's eyes

07.10.2012

This morning Matthew had eye surgery in both eyes to correct his eye turning inward. 
(if interested, click on links for more info on strabismus and strabismus surgery)

He was a good sport, but was really concerned that he would get a shot. At the check in desk, I asked the receptionist and she replied, "not one that he will remember" that seemed to ease his nerves a little, but he continued to ask me each time a new person entered the room, so I asked the nurse, doctor, etc. 

Here's Matthew before surgery holding a teddy bear that he got from the hospital. 

After Matthew got some drugs he was pretty loopy. He almost fell out of his bed one time and he insisted on  making a tent to hide in with the sheet. 


Matthew wasn't so happy when he woke up from surgery. Let's just say I didn't do so well seeing him in so much pain and crying pinkish/reddish tears. But luckily Scott's mom was with me and helped out while I took a little "breather."  And it was great that Scott's sister Julia watched Brandon and Cameron because I can't imagine having them running around during all of that. 

After napping in the car, getting back home, some medicine and a popsicle, Matthew seems to be doing better. 


and for those that want to see his post surgery eyes a little closer...
(they say tomorrow his eyes will look a little worse and then start to clear up)



And Matthew insisted I take a picture of his sticker (where his IV was)...


Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers offered in Matthew's behalf. 

4 comments:

Jen said...

His poor eye! I hope he feels better soon. It's not fun to send your kid into surgery, even if it's just a minor one. Noah just had his 4th!! I do love that medicine that makes them loopy, so funny. Glad you had lots of help.

Lisa and Mark said...

sad!!!

Kris and Megan said...

I didn't know he was having that! I'm so sorry, we are waaay overdue to chat. Hopefully next week? My sister is in town now. I'm glad he is doing better but that will be great to have over with right! It is always hard seeing your kids in pain and sad. Glad your MIL was there to help. Hugs to your little dude!!

Jaimie said...

Oh poor guy! So glad that all went well! I couldn't even tell anything was done when I just saw him!