Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dilemma

Cameron’s sleeping is becoming a bit of a problem lately. When I put Matthew and Cameron down at the same time for naps they laugh, play, and jump in their beds. So I have to put Cameron down first. Once Cameron falls asleep, I can put Matthew down for his nap/quiet time. Problem number one with this new plan—the other day when I put Matthew to bed after Cameron was sleeping peacefully—I heard Cameron crying and found Matthew in his crib jumping on Cameron. Matthew told me that Cameron wanted to jump—I’m not quite sure how Matthew would have known that since Cameron was sound asleep. Luckily after Cameron was so rudely woken up by being jumped on he did go back to sleep after Matthew was removed from his crib and room.


Problem number two—Cameron doesn’t like going to sleep without Matthew in the room. I think he thinks he is missing out on all of the fun. First he throws all of his blankets out of his crib and cries at me to put them back in. I swear Matthew and Cameron have a little plan going on to get out of naps. When I decide to let Cameron “tough it out” and ignore his constant pleas for me to come in the room—Matthew is at his rescue—“Mommy, Cameron is calling you,” I hear Matthew say as he barges into Cameron’s room Now what do I do? Give up. Matthew climbs into Cameron’s crib and the two of them jump, laugh and play until Cameron convinces me that he doesn’t need a nap and I get him out.

After letting Matthew and Cameron play for a little while it is obvious Cameron is exhausted, but he won’t cuddle and I know if I put him in his crib he will scream. So I try something I have never done before. I tell Matthew to grab some books—we are going for a drive. I load the kids up in the car and halfway up to Twin Peaks I look in the rear-view mirror to check on Cameron—he is already falling asleep. Seven minutes later we pull into our parking spot at home. As I am waiting for Cameron to be completely asleep before carrying him in I notice Matthew has sleepy eyes. So what do I do? Just sit and wait. Sure enough he falls asleep too.

And that is how it’s done.

4 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

haha, it is so funny & cute (but probably only to an outsider, right?!) great job!!! except one question...what did you do then? carry them in one at at time? :)

Sarah and Scott said...

Yeah, that is the trick—how to keep them asleep while carrying them in. I decided I better just leave them alone since it wasn’t worth them waking up. So I just read and waited. It was actually nice to sit in the car and soak up the sun. I didn’t get my normal naptime clean-up done--oh, well.

hilary said...

Thank goodness they didn't do this at my house you wouldn't have a moments peace. :) It sounds like those two adorable boys are having the time of their lives!

All Handleys on Deck! said...

Love it! Can' wait to see you all this summer!