My water broke around 10am Friday morning, I was at home, so not too much of a problem. My water has never broken before, so this was a new experience for me. I had actually been praying that my water would break (so I would know for sure I was in labor) and that it would happen at a convenient time (if that is possible). Prior to this I had had a few rough nights with lots of contractions, but they were not regular and slowed down again by morning – we live 20 min. from the hospital and although I had friends willing to help out at night – I definitely didn’t want to wake anyone with a “false labor alarm.” So my water breaking was the perfect solution – and since it happened at 10am in the morning, I had enough time to arrange for my sister-in-law to pick up the kids (she got Matthew out of school and swung by our house for the others), for Scott to finish up his current patient and come home and to pack a bag for the kids. Scott got home in time to take me to the hospital, so again that was perfect. I didn’t really want to hang out at the hospital for a while hooked up to machines, so we sort of took our time and “checked in” to the hospital around 1:30pm. By this point my contractions were starting to pick up and were about 5 min. apart. I lucked out with an amazing nurse who was able to read me really well (not sure exactly how since I was sort of blank faced) she said I looked serious. So she skipped the “labor check” and took me straight to the delivery room. They immediately started monitoring the baby and tried 4 times to get the iv in which ended up in the crease of my elbow (not an ideal spot when you are trying to bend your arm). I had to wait out a few contractions for the doctor to arrive, but once she got there, 3 contractions later Katelyn was out. She was born at 2:07pm, was 6 pounds, 2 ounces and 20.5 inches long. I really don’t know how anything could have gone smoother.
Rebecca (Scott’s sister) was able to bring the boys over to meet Katelyn on their way to Scott’s parent’s house that evening. The boys were so excited. They all wanted a turn to hold Katelyn and were excited to see her tiny feet and hands. Cameron kept pinching her nose –not sure why (maybe he thought it was cute? Or maybe he thought it was funny?) And then they wanted to play on my bed. Of course it would be Matthew who tried to push all the buttons and make it move.
Katelyn Love Crane was named after her Grandma Flinders and Grandma Crane. The “lyn” from my mom (her middle name is Lynn) and “Love” from Scott’s mom. She has two great examples to look up to.
We are so blessed that this pregnancy was relatively “uneventful” and that the delivery went so well. Thank you all for your prayers and love.
3 comments:
Wow, quick labor and delivery! Glad everything went smoothly. Katelyn is such a cute baby!
I love birth stories and I'm so glad yours went so smoothly with all the boys to shuffle around! Awesome! I've never had water break either, it would be interesting to finally experience it! Seems like you have done it all now! :) So happy for you, what a cute little girl and a great name!
I love her!!
Post a Comment