Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Our Camping Adventures

A little more than halfway there, I turned to Scott and said, wouldn’t it be funny if we forgot one of the bags (since we are leaving for Washington right after we get back and packed for that trip as well). I then proceeded to ask Scott if he had packed a small black bag with the boys clothes in it—he told me that it was by the Washington bag, so he thought it was for Washington. Woops! So we start our camping trip with no sweatshirts for me, Matthew and Cameron and no extra clothes/pajamas for Matthew and Cameron.
Shortly after setting up camp, we walked down a little trail to a stream. Matthew had a great time throwing every single rock he could find into the water. Well, Scott and I looked away for a second to find Matthew standing in the stream up to his ankles. Soaking his socks, shoes and the bottom of his only pants we had.
When we got back to camp, we built a fire and hung up Matthew’s pants, socks and shoes to dry (while he was in the tent wrapped in a blanket). The rest of the time Matthew smelled so strong of campfire, that Scott and I had a hard time going near him. Poor kid.
At home we have a little bed-time routine where we read a book, say prayers, sing a song and lay the boys down in their own crib/pack and play to let them fall asleep. Some nights Cameron will cry, Matthew and/or Cameron will talk/make noises and other nights they are just quite. Well, since there is no way we were bringing two pack and plays camping, we decided to just make one giant bed in the tent and rock Cameron to sleep and then let Matthew stay up until we went to bed. Cameron went to sleep like a charm and after some mores and a nice campfire we went to bed with Matthew. We thought he would just lie down and fall asleep with us. Well, I guess he was a little too worked up that he just wanted to keep playing (even though it was a good 1 ½ -2 hours after his normal bed-time). Eventually we got him settled down and we all fell asleep. Cameron woke up a few times squawking a bit—if we were at home, we would just ignore him and he would fall back asleep in a few minutes, but since we were out camping—that is pretty rude to your neighbors. So we tried desperately to make him stop immediately. About 3:30 or so in the morning he woke up and wasn’t going back to sleep, so he and I spent the rest of the night in the car. I think I finally got him to fall asleep around 4:30. Luckily, he took a decent morning nap, so Cameron and I slept in the tent after breakfast while Scott and Matthew went exploring. We ended up coming home a night early, since we didn’t really want to re-live the night part again. Everything else was great. We had tons of yummy food. Matthew managed to submerge his entire hot dog in the ashes. There were all sorts of trails to walk on, rivers to throw rocks into and sticks to collect. We also saw a raccoon which Matthew called a monkey.
Above: Matthew's hot dog covered in ashes





8 comments:

Kris and Megan said...

cameron is getting cuter and cuter, and of course matthew! that's too funny about the hotdog in the ashes- I could see that coming!! haha yeah I am scared to go camping with this kid, let alone two! looks like you guys still had a blast! :)

kristine said...

Sounds like a successful trip....especially considering the missing bag of clothes. Maybe we'll be as adventurous as you guys and take Ben camping soon. We've got a tent that needs breaking in! Have fun in Washington. See you in a few weeks!

Ellsworth Family said...

Wow, impressive that you would even attempt to take the boys camping!! Have fun in Washington!!

Kimberly said...

You are much braver than I am to take those little ones camping. I'm nervous enough about just taking Bridget to the cabin and hoping she doesn't wake everyone else up in the middle of the night.

Anonymous said...

Lol.. Makes me glad we didn't go camping this year! We figured Leanna would have a "No-Go" "No-Way" and we didn't want to disrupt the neighbors so we just didn't do anything.
Maybe next year.
Funny stories and cute pictures!!

Our Little Family said...

I had a kick out of your camping adventure!! I was laughing pretty good. I guess I wasn't too surprised that Mathew called the raccoon a monkey, they live in trees after all!! hahah, and the hot dog in the ashes, just classic! Seems like it was a lot of fun, have a safe trip to Washington!

Jenny said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! I'm impressed. Now we just need to convince Todd to let us go camping too. Hope your drive up to Washington went well!! Hopefully we can meet up next time you're up here.

Joanne said...

Hi Sarah, its Joanne Pizzo. I just saw your blog address from Facebook. You have such a cute family, congrats! I hope you are well. Joanne